Thank you all
Tom Greever is the author of Articulating Design Decisions from O'Reilly Media and UX Director at Bitovi, a front-end design and development consulting company. As a teacher, he helps designers be better communicators. As a designer, he helps companies create better websites and apps. As a father, he helps his kids expend their energy on wrestling. He lives in Illinois, USA with his wife and five kids. He is probably cleaning up the house right now.
14:00 - 17:30Aud II
Articulating Design Decisions
Talking to people about your designs might seem like a basic skill, but it can be difficult to do efficiently and well. And, in many cases, how you communicate about your work with stakeholders, clients, and other non-designers is more critical than the designs themselves--simply because the most articulate person usually wins.
This practical and fun workshop focuses on principles, tactics, and actionable methods for presenting your designs. Whether you design websites, apps or other products, you'll learn how to win over anyone who has influence over the project--with the goal of creating the best experience for the end user. Using techniques from improvisational theatre, we’ll laugh our way through the process of explaining design to the people around us.
- Walk through the process of preparing for and presenting your designs
- Understand stakeholder perspectives, and learn how to empathize with them
- Cultivate both implicit and explicit listening skills
- Learn tactics and formulas for expressing the most effective response to feedback
- Discover why the way you follow through is just as crucial as the meeting itself
You'll learn how to:
- Get in the right frame of mind for discussing design
- Identify stakeholder values and needs
- Manage design meetings and conversations
- Listen to design feedback effectively
- Document design decisions for the future
- Effectively respond to design feedback
- Apply common strategies and tactics for making your case
- Discussing common challenges with explaining design
- Writing stakeholder stories to better see their perspective
- Evaluating your own skill at articulating design decisions
- Practicing tactics for responding with other participants
- Applying techniques from improvisational comedy
- Simulating design conversations and scenarios
At the end of this workshop, you’ll be more confident in your ability to help stakeholders understand your work. Articulating Design Decisions will equip you to communicate with stakeholders, keep your sanity, and still deliver the best user experience.
12:00 - 12:30Auditorium I
Articulating Design Decisions
Every designer has had to justify their designs to a non-designer, yet most lack the ability to convince people they’re right. The ability to effectively articulate your decisions is critical to the success of a project, because the most articulate person usually wins.
In this session, you’ll learn practical tips for talking about your designs to executives, managers, developers, and other designers with the goal of winning them over and creating the best user experience.